Delivery Drones Take to China's Skies in Alibaba Test [Video]
Alizila By Jim Erickson | Feb 04, 2015
Talk about your pilot(less) projects. Alibaba Group's Taobao Marketplace shopping website and Shanghai YTO Express Logistics Co. today began a trial of drone-delivery technology in Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou.
Over a three-day period, parcel-packing quadcopters will be used to ferry boxed sets of ginger tea high above city traffic to 450 Taobao shoppers who purchase the tea for RMB 49. The remote-controlled drones won't be flown right to consumers' doors. They'll be landed outside residential buildings, where packages will be collected by human-type couriers for last-mile duty.
By conducting the trial, Taobao and YTO Express officials aren't hinting that drone-delivery service is ripe for commercialization in the PRC. As a Bloomberg News story points out, aviation authorities in China and the U.S. are pondering regulations to govern such activities. Alibaba characterized the three-day trial as a "one-off campaign."
Check out this video from Taobao showing a delivery drone in action in Beijing:
Taobao Boosts Mobile Offerings as 12.12 Sale Approaches
By Susan Wang | Dec 03, 2014 | Alizila
Taobao Marketplace, Alibaba Group’s giant Chinese shopping website, has been enhancing and expanding the services it offers to mobile users in the run-up to the site’s annual 12.12 online sale.
At a press conference held today in Hangzhou, China, Taobao President Zhang Jianfeng said the company is developing its mobile-shopping app to make it easier for consumers to search among products offered by some eight million small merchants hosted on the C2C site so they can “discover the exact items they want.”
In addition to a better searches, the app, Mobile Taobao, has been upgraded for faster order placement and e-payment settlement. It also has a new function to enable consumers to quickly search for a particular piece of clothing online by taking a photo of the physical item using their smartphones.
Mobile Taobao is the largest m-commerce platform in the world, Taobao officials said. During Alibaba’s 11.11 Shopping Festival held Nov. 11, transactions over mobile devices reached RMB 24.3 billion ($3.95 billion), representing 42.6 percent of total GMV (gross merchandise volume) recorded for the sale. Most of the mobile orders were generated through Mobile Taobao.
Taobao is hoping to maintain momentum from the 11.11 Shopping Festival, which features slashed prices on products sold by big, well-known Chinese and international brands, through its upcoming 12.12 online sale.
Held annually by Taobao Marketplace, the 12.12 sale is a lower-profile promotion geared to boost revenue for the website’s small- and micro-merchants, who have a hard time competing amid the din and discounts of the hugely popular 11.11 Shopping Festival.
Taobao expects more than one million virtual stores offering 10 million products and services will participate in the Dec. 12 sale this year. The website plans several special promotions, among them:
• Some 150 independent designers and 130 contract manufacturers that help produce goods for top brands will use the event to showcase their own low-cost products.
• More than 500 real estate developments are partnering with Taobao’s real estate channel to offer 40,000 discount-priced properties. Homebuyers can make appointments online to visit the properties in person before buying.
• Taobao’s auction platform will be putting up for bid several unusual items on Dec. 12 with the proceeds to be donated to charity. Listed items include a date with Chinese actress Lin Zhiling and admission to next year’s Academy Awards slated to be held Feb. 22 in Hollywood.
• To highlight Taobao’s expanding variety of “life services” offered online, cleaning services will be offered in 27 cities at a discounted rate of RMB 5 per hour. Laundry services will also be available at RMB 9.90 for coats and sweaters.
- See more at: Alizila
Rekord sprzedaży jednego dnia podczas Festiwalu Zakupów Grupy Alibaba 11 listopada, czyli w Dzień Singla w Chinach.
Zakończył się największy na świecie Festiwal Zakupów organizowany przez Grupę Alibaba na platformach handlowych grupy takich jak Aliexpress.com, Taobao.com i Tmall.com
Festiwal Zakupów Grupy Alibaba zakończył się rekordowym wynikiem sprzedaży o wartości 9.3 miliarda dolarów ( 57.1 miliarda juanów ), z czego 42.6% zakupów zostało dokonanych poprzez urządzenia mobilne.
Więcej: Festiwal Zakupów Grupy Alibaba
Alibaba Group's Platforms and Their Role in This Year's 11.11 Sale
By Alizila Staff | Nov 05, 2014
This year's 11.11 Shopping Festival will involve many of Alibaba Group's e-commerce platforms and affiliated companies. Here is a rundown of how the major parts of Alibaba's ecosystem are participating to make the biggest shopping day in China a seamless reality.
Launched four years ago, AliExpress is Alibaba Group’s English-language consumer shopping platform that connects consumers all over the world with Chinese merchants selling a wide array of products including apparel, electronics and even hair extensions.
In the 12 months ended June 30, 2014, AliExpress GMV (gross merchandise volume) hit $4.5 billion. AliExpress’s main markets are Russia, Brazil, Spain and the U.S. AliExpress has become the dominant cross-border e-commerce website in Russia and Brazil.
China’s national postal service, China Post, will work with the national postal services of Brazil, Russia, Spain and Singapore to ensure speedy customs clearance and delivery during the 11.11 sale. China Smart Logistics, a logistics affiliate of Alibaba Group, will manage shipping and delivery and provide consumers with worldwide traceability of their orders as parcels are enroute to their homes.
AliExpress’s participation the 2014 11.11 Shopping Festival
- The AliExpress 11.11 Shopping Festival will begin at midnight Pacific Standard Time on Nov. 11 and ends 24 hours later. More information here.
- AliExpress merchants will offer 50 percent discounts on some one million products.
- 5,000 products include free international shipping.
- To mark the upcoming ski season in Russia, snowboards and related accessories are up to 50 percent off on Nov. 11 with dedicated delivery routes into the country.
- Shoppers can play games on the AliExpress website to earn virtual coins that will give them bigger discounts.
Tmall.com is China’s largest business-to-consumer website. Global brands like Nike, Apple and Gap as well as established domestic brands sell on the website. Earlier this year, Tmall launched Tmall Global, a solution to help global brands and merchants without a Chinese presence sell and deliver directly to Chinese consumers.
Tmall Global’s participation the 2014 11.11 Shopping Festival
- All products sold on Tmall Global are guaranteed to be authentic and imported.
- Costco, Blue Nile, Juicy Couture, Nissen, Kenko and King Power are taking part in this year’s 11.11 Shopping Festival.
- In the pre-order run-up to 11.11 Costco has sold over 90 tones of mixed nuts.
- Consumers can choose to have their goods delivered by bulk shipping, direct shipping or bonded warehouses.
- Popular items for this year’s sale include mixed nuts from Costco, infant milk powder from Germany and Australia, cosmetics from Japan and Korea and food products from Southeast Asia.
- Dozens of brands from nine countries are taking part in this year’s sale.
Tmall.com’s participation the 2014 11.11 Shopping Festival
- Brands like Gap, Mango, Uniqlo, ASOS are taking part.
- This year, Tmall.com has teamed up with Ant Financial Services Group to offer eligible consumers installment payment plans on more than 800,000 products, with 15,000 merchants participating in this scheme. Products categories include cosmetics, electronics, electrical goods and even cars. The 11.11 car promotion has seen 5,000 cars booked by consumers.
Taobao Marketplace is Alibaba Group’s consumer-to-consumer e-commerce platform and is the largest C2C shopping website in China. A subsidiary Taobao sales channel, Taobao International, is geared for overseas Chinese in 210 countries and regions including Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore and Malaysia. Taobao International partners with national banks and logistics companies to offer localized payment and logistics solutions.
Taobao’s participation in the 11.11 sale
- Shoppers from Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore and Malaysia can enjoy discounted shipping rates on a range of selected items through Taobao International. They can also enjoy free returns on hundreds of items.
- There will be 8,000 self-pickup locations in locations such as convenience stores in Taiwan and self-pickup lockers in Singapore.
- In Malaysia, a “Taobao Exhibition Truck” marketing campaign will allow shoppers to scan QR codes to download the Mobile Taobao app and purchase items.
- Taodiandian, Taobao Marketplace’s food order and delivery website, will offer users 50 percent discounts at more than 1,000 restaurants in 23 Chinese cities.
China Smart Logistics
China Smart Logistics is joint venture set up by Alibaba Group with major Chinese logistics companies. Alibaba Group owns 48 percent of China Smart Logistics, which runs a central logistics information system that connects a network of express delivery companies in China.
China Smart Logistics’ role in the 11.11 sale
This year more than 1 million courier personnel have been employed by domestic logistics firms to speed parcel delivery. China Smart Logistics is working with China Post, international courier companies like DHL and FedEx, and warehousing companies around the world for faster delivery of international shipments. China Smart Logistics has set up a central information network to allow buyers, sellers, freight forwarders and warehouse companies to effectively track a parcel on its entire route. The company is also working with domestic customs officials and overseas customs officials to ensure goods are imported and exported quickly.
- China Smart Logistics will apply predictive analysis to Tmall.com transaction data to project order volume, which the company and its delivery partners can use to allocate resources and flexibly respond to demand.
- For Tmall Global orders, China Smart Logistics will work to facilitate cross-border imports by using bonded warehouses and coordinating with regulatory authorities and local governments to ensure that all imported goods are genuine and comply with customs regulations.
- For AliExpress orders, China Smart Logistics will work with China’s national postal service to ensure speedy customs clearance and delivery to all countries.
Alipay and Alipay Wallet
Alipay is a unit of Ant Financial Services Group, an affiliate of Alibaba Group. Alipay is China’s most popular e-payment service while it’s mobile application Alipay Wallet is China’s top mobile-payment service. Users can use their Alipay accounts to pay their bills, shop online, transfer money to each other and also invest their idle cash. By using Alipay Wallet, users are able to participate in offline-to-online promotions, pay for products in stores with smartphones, book transportation services and hospital appointments, among other uses. At the end of 2013, the number of Alipay registered users reached 300 million and the number of partnering financial institutions exceeded 200 entities. Alipay handles over 80 million transactions daily, 45 million of them generated by mobile devices.
Alipay’s participation in the 11.11 sale
- By using their Alipay Wallet app, users can participate in offline-to-online promotions at more than 300 department stores in 18 Chinese cities.
- Special discounts and freebies will be offered to shoppers who buy online store-value cards and to use them to redeem merchandise at brick-and-mortar stores.
Tags: Alibaba GroupAlibaba newsAlizilaAlipayTmall.comTmall GlobalAliExpressTaobao Marketplace TaodiandianAlipay WalletCainiaoChina Smart Logistics -
See more at: http://www.alizila.com
Informacje, wiadomości, nowości.